Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Edge of Autumn


Youpon Plantation - Canton Bend, Alabama

9/22/2015

      Dove shoots, pig roasts, football games, and hog hunting are all signs of autumn on the horizon in my corner of the world.  I checked a few of those off the list in the past week.
      Friday afternoon I was invited on my first dove shoot of the season and it left nothing to be desired.  We entered the field of sunflowers around 2pm and endured a warm few hours before the birds poured in around 4pm.  I missed, very cleanly, the first six I shot at.  I finally got in my groove and I mourned the fifteenth that fell as I was just starting to really have some fun!
      Saturday evening my wife and I attended a pig roast party at a beautifully restored antebellum home right outside of Camden.  The pleasant weather was a great setting for food, music, and fellowship through the evening hours.  The event has become an annual affair is is yet another enjoyable event to mark the turning of summer into autumn.
       My hog stalks were unsuccessful on both Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I saw very few hogs and none within range of an arrow.  The acorns are beginning to fall and those hunts will improve in the coming weeks.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment