Thursday, September 17, 2015

Hogs by bow


9/17/2015

     I've started off the fall hunting season having a lot of fun with what I enjoy the most---hunting hogs.  On my first venture in mid August in search of hogs I took along my .270 and got three on a morning hunt.  Since then I switched to my Mathews ChillR bow and have killed 6 on three hunts.  
      I've been fortunate to take two good sized boars including the one shown in this picture.  On this hunt I was slipping along through the hardwoods when I spotted him feeding under an oak that was beginning to shed a few acorns.  He circled and circled around the tree, feeding, as I crept closer and closer.  Several times I cracked sticks with my steps and he froze and looked my way, only to settle down and return to feeding.
     I crouched behind an oak and hoped he would circle a little closer to me so that I could make a 30 yard shot but he seemed to be gradually moving in the opposite direction.  The light wind held steady in my favor but one shift in its direction would blow my stalk.  I knew time was short.
      As he made a circle in the other direction I crept closer until he began to move from right to left.  I drew and he stopped and I let the arrow loose.  
       The Wasp Jak-Hammer tipped projectile struck the hog, piercing both lungs.  He whirled and ran toward me at an angle and stopped 15 yards away, paused, and fell over.  
        Returning to the truck I ran across another group of hogs that included a sow in heat and a very big boar.  I nearly got a shot at him before the big group got wary and ran.  They didn't go far but I had no time to pursue. I'll save them for another day and that big boar is tops on my wish list.  
        Stay tuned for more tales from the Swamp as we move into my two favorite months of the year---October and November!  


No comments:

Post a Comment