Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Turkey Time

I have a backlog of stories to tell and they are about to flow forth on regular basis.  Stay tuned....


Gobbler #1 from the 2016 Season

3/29/2016

      After missing the first 10 days of the season due to work, weather, and trip to Disney World, my 7 year old Andrew and I finally got into the woods to chase a turkey last Friday morning.  Though we heard nothing on the roost, we got a turkey to gobble soon after fly down time and called him in to within 40 yards.  It's Andrew's first season to be behind a gun in the turkey woods, wielding a 20 gauge that we have borrowed from a friend.  The gobbler circled us and Andrew had to move a little to get in position for a possible shot if he came closer.  He moved a little much and the bird slipped off and disappeared into the pines.
       Our next hunt on Saturday was uneventful (though we did make a good haul from the coon traps later in the morning.)  Monday morning he did not have to go to school and we found a turkey gobbling over a cypress swamp early.  This turkey soon got quiet and out of time and my work beckoning, we headed for the truck. Walking along as we headed for the truck, we heard a gobble 100 yards off the road.  We quickly set up, called, and had the turkey coming to us in mere minutes.  Andrew, just learning the ways of the turkey woods, moved a little too much when the turkey was within sight but not range.  He again vanished back into the piney woods.
      Tuesday morning I returned to the swamp without my little buddy who had to get to school on time.  I heard two turkeys gobble early in a hardwood drain and I moved into position.  I feared I had gotten too close as once I sat down they got silent.  It was early and certainly not the normal flying down time.  I soon saw one of the gobblers on the ground in front of me, 60 yards away.  I yelped twice softly and he headed my way.  At 6:30 I pulled the trigger as he stepped to within 30 yards.  My first gobbler of the season was in the books.
       The turkey had a good, thick beard and no trace of spur, something I have seen a few times in my turkey feet collecting days.


Nice beard but no trace of a spur




No comments:

Post a Comment